For me

 echo "$test ------ $foo";

results in

avalue ------

Neil

At 02:56 PM 27/08/2004, Curt Zirzow wrote:
* Thus wrote Neil:

> Not sure if its me or the configuration of PHP

variable variables are rather standard and dont have any
configuration settings.

> I have played around with this bit of code from operators part of the
> manual and this does not appear to work, well for me at least.
>
> $foo = "test";
> $$bar = "this is";
>
> echo "${$bar} $foo"; // prints "this is test"

Everything is working so far as expected

> Note: it is the same as
> echo "$test $foo";   // *****  for me it only prints out "test"

You are throwing me here.. the problem seems to be that $test
hasn't been assign.  By using your examples I can make $test
actually be a value by doing this with the variable variable:

  $$foo = 'avalue';   // $test is assinge 'avalue'

Is equivalent as doing:

  $test = 'avalue';  // $test is assinge 'avalue'

And thus, without the  actual $test assignment:

  echo "$test $foo";

will result in:

  "avalue test"

HTH,

Curt
--
First, let me assure you that this is not one of those shady pyramid schemes
you've been hearing about.  No, sir.  Our model is the trapezoid!

Regards

Chester Cairns