Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to fake the referrer?

This may not matter for your application -- are you writing a financial app
or a personal portfolio? -- but if you really need to authenticate the
source of data that comes from some other IP address (as is the case with a
web browser) then you're into PGP keys and signed certificates.

Les Neste  678-778-0382  http://www.lesneste.com