shell>$php -r "phpinfo();" | grep ftp
Registered PHP Streams => php, http, ftp, compress.zlib
shell>$

I looked at the complete output and did not see that anything else for FTP. What do I need to do add FTP support for the CLI?

Just to be absolutely sure, try to use `grep -i ftp` -- the "FTP" in "FTP support => enabled" is in all-caps.

If it's still missing, you will need to recompile PHP. I'm not sure if you're on a shared host or not, but this actually does not demand root permissions - you can install a personal PHP binary in your home directory with all the required features, and use that. See the manual for relevant configuration details.