Hi there

I have been given the task of integrating a search into a database we
have which contains 40 million records and I would really do with some
advice!  Thanks to everyone the other day who helped us parse this same
database into mysql.

Basically the database consists of only 1 field that stores a set of
character strings.  I need to be able to do a wildcard search that will
find any matches, so if I'm looking for any matches containing "ABC"
then it should pull up the record "123ABCDEFG".  Now, I know that under
normal circumstances this wouldn't be too bad, but under this database
I'm getting search times of 3.5 minutes just to run one search.
Considering that there might be 500 users interested in doing searches
on this info, 500 x 3.5 minutes per search is too much.  Just wondering
what the experts would suggest for managing a database this size and
getting the search times down to something manageable.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Ade