On Friday 03 September 2004 01:11 am, Sam Hobbs wrote:
> "Jack Gates" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> > Javascript can open a separate and specifically sized window from a web
> > page
> > when a user clicks on a link that might reference a note or picture etc.
> >
> > Can this be done with PHP?  If yes, will someone tell me where in the
> > manual
> > on the php.net site I can find the information to learn how to do this?
> >
> > I have been looking through the manual on the site but without knowing
> > the name or names of what I am looking for it is real hard to find it.
>
> I am new to PHP also but there is some fundamental understanding of PHP
> that is likely to make things much more clear. PHP is a server-side
> facility. PHP executes before the HTML is (considered to be) complete. Then
> the HTML is sent to the client. By the time that the user clicks on the
> page, PHP is totally gone (for the purposes of the page). This concept is
> quite easy to explain and to understand, yet you are likely to spend many,
> many hours of reading before you read enough to understand this. In other
> words, I am sure you can understand it, but this is the type of concept
> that documentation seldom makes clear.
>
> You can, instead, put resize code (using PHP or nearly any language) in the
> page that shows the image. This is also a more object-oriented solution.

Thanks for the response, it makes sense.  I already understand that PHP is
server side code and Javascript is client side code.

Last night I was tired when I sent this.

I knew I had seen a pop up window on a web site that I new was completely
written in PHP and driven by MySQL.  The HTML output was done on the fly by
the code and database, which prompted my question.

I went to the actual PHP script source since I have direct access to it.  The
picture that was popping up when the link is picked is being done by
Javascript embedded in the source PHP script.

Now it is a lot clearer that the window pop up can't be done with PHP.  If by
chance my conclusion is wrong some one please enlighten me.

My objective here is to remove Javascript from my site every where that I
possibly can and to replace it with server side code or something else.  The
reason for this is simply because some people are going to turn off
Javascript from their browser because of the danger that it could pose to
their local box if they visit a site with evil intent.

--
Jack "Rhino" Gates, Registered Linux user #342662
Morning Star Communications, www.morningstarcom.net