Nick Wilson wrote:
Hi all,

Say i have a php script like this:

<?php
  print(html_head());
  // do loads of time taking stuff
  print(html_footer());
?>

How come I dont see the html header (it's just a function that returns a
string with the html up till <body>) before the entire script has run?

This goes against my understanding, why might this be and what might i
use to get some output before the script has finished executing?

Much thanks...
that's because it's all sent as 1 single big chunk of data. To get around this, you should set implicit_flush to 1 (it's in php.ini). Otherwise, you can also use the PHP ob_implicit_flush() to do this. Setting it to 1 will flush the output buffer everytime it's written to, if set to 0 it will do as normal, and buffer it all to send it together.