Jason Wong wrote:

On Saturday 18 September 2004 05:22, Richard Whitney wrote:

And just what metrics do you hope to be measuring (if any)? Or is this
just for the fun of it?

I have a client who was going to host his website at a particular host.
It seemed rather slow so I wrote this liittle script to display the
difference between that host and mine - just a visual test of the
backbone behind each server. I guess this is kind of OT Huh?

Well with your code it seems to be more of a test of the cpu speed (or maybe even hdd speed) rather than the internet connection.

Assuming that the host's cpu speed is a known (and (fairly) easily quantifiable) quantity, then I would assume you're trying to test the connection speed, in which case why not just serve a static file and leave php out of it?

To add to what jason says, i believe this kind of timer will not work at all with PHP because the php script gets into the action only after all the post data has been recieved.

On the other hand you could write a PHP script that does a form post and place a timer in that code. ie PHP acts as the client.

-- Raditha Dissanayake. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ http://www.radinks.com/sftp/ | http://www.raditha.com/megaupload Lean and mean Secure FTP applet with | Mega Upload - PHP file uploader Graphical User Inteface. Just 128 KB | with progress bar.