[snip]
Does anyone have any idea why I might be getting these errors?  The code
above, to me at least, doesn't look like it should be throwing parse
errors.

The script which is called by my crontab to start this process executes
every minute, so I find it very strange that I'm getting these sporadic
error messages.

Can any one shed any light on this for me?
[/snip]

Perhaps. Could the data being utilized by the code occasionally have
characters that should be escaped, by aren't? Are you escaping all of
the escapable characters, especially quotes, both single and double?