Reading the man page on a Mac it says that you are trying to set the system date if you provide a date, which you need to be root to be able to do. If you just run your command in the shell, you'll see that you get an operation not permitted error. Using the -r switch you can provide the seconds since Epoch to just display a 'date' you specify.
For instance:
date -r 978400000 +%a
Returns 'Mon'

Check the shells you are running, the Mac defaults to bash under 10.3. You can always switch the default shell to get different behavior.