Howdy,

Regular expressions are a simple way of matching patters.
You can learn more about regular expressions in general here:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/re.html

If you are interested in using regular expressions in PHP, check out
these sites:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/reference.pcre.pattern.syntax.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/reference.pcre.pattern.modifiers.php

A regex to match what you are looking for would be /\{(.+?)\}/, and then
just replace it without the { and } for the replace part.