I don't think this is the best list to ask questions about SQL, try
http://lists.mysql.com

Cheers!

Silvio Porcellana

Harlequin wrote:
Morning everyone.

I've read around the subject of searching and although using the FULLTEXT capability of MySQL might be the proper way of doing this I feel it's somewhat limited and have decided to use a simple select procedure.

I'm sure there's a better way of doing this, as I'm quite new to MySQL and even newer to searches, However - here's my conundrum:

I'm declaring variables at the top of my query like so:

      Code:
      $WorkPermit          == '" . $_POST["WorkPermit"] .  "';

And then execute the query like so:

      Code:
      SELECT * FROM MembersData
      WHERE `Work_Permit_Rqd`
      LIKE '$WorkPermit'

But I have many other fields that the searcher can use. What do I do if they leave this field blank...?

I appreciate that I should be using the MATCH function but I'm not entirely happy with the way it searches.

What I need to do is actually omit a field (s) from the search if the value the searcher submitted was NULL.

For example:

Search field X and Y and Z
and if x or Y are null
continue...