Christophe Chisogne wrote:
Olaf van der Spek wrote:

Are scripts allowed to cause a crash or fatal error of Apache/PHP itself?

Oh yes, at least with php4 as an apache module :(

On a Debian Woody server, php4 (4.1.2) sometimes crashes at logrotate time
(with apache doing gracefull restart) with the following error,
which makes Apache crash (then all its child after some time)

PHP Fatal error: Unable to start session mm module in Unknown on line 0

That is not a bug in a php script, but in the php engine itself.

I've googled to find a solution. There's a bug related to php dynamic loading,
glibc and some crypto modules (a workaround is to enable the ssl apache module).
But this didnt stop the php4 to crash (last time this morning, 'mon' warned me)
I now use apache restart instead of apache reload, crossing my fingers.
But perhaps I've got unusual config (ex perl script to split logs)
My next try will be to split logs with perl code and a pipe.

Btw if someone has detailed explanations or good workaround,
I'll be glad to hear/read, even with gory details ;-)

Maybe if you lower the logrotate script's priority?