My virtual host eliminated the common session tmp folder which forces me to set up one in my area.

I'm trying to come up with the best, considering:

Custom php.ini; resisting because having to make certain it is always in sync with host's changes.

Tried adding to htaccess: php_value session.save_path /www/u/username/htdoc/session Hoping it would override php.ini. Got a server error 500.

Tried adding to a common functions file used by several pages:
session_save_path /www/u/user/htdoc/session; and
session_save_path $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/SESSION";

Doesn't work, uses the path in php.ini; I'm guessing that session_save_path has to be declared on page using session stuff. That's a pain, if so.

Haven't tried ini_set yet; is it a solution?

Thanks....