Brent,
Thank you , I can't do an associative because it part
of a user input form.  The values will be dependent on
the users.  I'm going to try and give each form
element a index number skill[0], skill[1] since the
foreach loop is doing that anyway.

The reason I haven't posted the validation is because
it's part of a class, so what exists in the page is
only part of the code.

Stuart

--- Brent Baisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think I might know what you are trying to do. You
> want to have a
> "name" associated with the skill (or skys or slus).
> You can use an
> associative array to "name" your array elements. In
> your form, you can
> change the array to be something like this:
> skills[cooking]
> skills[flying]
> skills[walking]
>
> Notice there are no quotes around the skill names.
> Now each array
> element has an array key that is a name. The
> computer doesn't really
> care, but it makes it easier for you to read your
> code. And you now
> have name/value pairs. You can process the array
> like this:
>
> $skillNames   = array_keys($skills);
> foreach($skillNames as $skill) {
>       echo 'Skill: '.$skill.'  Value: '.$skills[$skill].'
> }
>
> Of course, instead of echoing you would do your
> validation or
> substitution.
>
> On Oct 20, 2004, at 8:35 AM, Stuart Felenstein
> wrote:
>
> > After some back and forth posts here I had finally
> > thought my array issue was over, but!
> >
> > To review I have 30 form elements on a page
> > 10 are skill[]
> > 10 are sky[]
> > 10 are slu[]
> >
> > I pass them as session variables
> >
> > $_SESSION['skills'] = $_POST['skill'];
> > $_SESSION['skys'] = $_POST['sky'];
> > $_SESSION['slus'] = $_POST['slu'];
> >
> > Then when everyting is passed into a database
> > transaction:
> >
> > $skills = $_SESSION['skills'];
> > $skys = $_SESSION['skys'];
> > $slus = $_SESSION['slus'];
> >
> > foreach($_SESSION['skills'] as $key => $skill)
> > {
> > $query = "INSERT INTO Profiles_skills (ProfileID,
> > SkilCerts, NumYear, Lused)
> > VALUES ($LID, '$skill',

{$_SESSION['skys'][$key]},{$_SESSION['slus'][$key]})";