I am trying to build PHP 4.3.9 on Solaris 8, and I
can't get past the "make" step. At first I get the
following message:

bison -y  /opt/php/php-4.3.9/ext/standard/parsedate.y
M4sugar requires GNU M4. Install it before installing
M4sugar or
set the M4 environment variable to its path name.***
Signal 13
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`/opt/php/php-4.3.9/ext/standard/parsedate.c'

So I create an environment variable "M4" and point it
to the path to the "m4" command. Then I get this
message:

bison -y  /opt/php/php-4.3.9/ext/standard/parsedate.y
*** Signal 13
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`/opt/php/php-4.3.9/ext/standard/parsedate.c'

I have the following tools installed:

gcc v3.3
make (version bundled with Solaris 8)
flex v2.5.4a
bison v1.875
m4 v1.4.2
autoconf v2.59
automake v1.9
perl (version bundled with Solaris 8)
gzip 11.8.0
tar  (version bundled with Solaris 8)
sed 4.1.1
libtool 1.5

I have another Solaris 8 server on which I
successfully built an installed PHP 4.3.9. These tools
are all the same on both servers, and I have ensured
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH variables are also
identical.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Andy