* Thus wrote Jake Press:
> Oops, sorry :(
> I accidentally hi-jacked another thread.

Thanks for taking notice :)

> Here are the relevant posts for anyone thats reading:
> - http://news.php.net/php.general/201395
> - http://news.php.net/php.general/201403
> - http://news.php.net/php.general/201405
> - http://news.php.net/php.general/201410
> - http://news.php.net/php.general/201451
> - http://news.php.net/php.general/201455

I like your research, i just really dont know what the original
problem was, so I'll look at your hijacked thread to see what it
is...

Just to review what this is about:

<?php

  // Define a class with a nice juicy static variable
  class bob {
    public static $type = 'safd';
  }

  // Lets chuck the name of the class into a variable...
  $foo = 'bob';

  // Just to show it all works lets do it manualllllly
  echo bob::$type;

  // This is the line with the well-wicked parse error on the double colon
  echo $foo::$type;

?>

The $foo::$type causes a parser error.

I would suggest reporting a bug about this. Generally the left
side of the :: is expected to be a direct reference to a class
name not a variable that references a class name. I can see some
benefit though.

> I also have just found this php.notes post that doesnt seem to have been
> accepted for some reason
> - http://news.php.net/php.notes/78312

This note really should not be there but reported as a bug
instead, imo.

> I still cant find the alleged posts made in the php.internals about this
> issue :(

It wont hurt to ask, on internals@, if this kind of thing is really
a feature request or something that should really work out of the
box (aka bug)

Curt
--
Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore."