On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:37:41 +0100 Marek Kilimajer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>> How can I determine user's primary language?
>
> $_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"] - string with user's language
> preferences. However only a fraction of users willingly set it, so many
> times it will be on its default value, english even for russian speaking
> visitors.

Perhaps try to advertise it somewhere on your site, how to set it in
various browsers. People will use this once they realise the setting is
there. It's very nice to go to a website without doing anything special and
be greeted by your mother tongue. Once they experience this they will like
it.

HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE will look like this: ro,en-us;q=0.7,en;q=0.3
Comma is the main delimiter, separating languages. The "q" signifies
precedence among similar languages, such as en-us vs en. Otherwise, the
order in which the languages were given sets precedence.

--
Skippy - Romanian Web Developers - http://ROWD.ORG