Using PHP 4.2.1 as a development platform to run on a 4.3.7 production
box?  How strange. Haha  Assuming you have zero control over this
(otherwise, UPGRADE or something :) then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Here are some articles you may have seen already, but passing them on
anyway:

"Parsing non-well-formed XML documents in PHP 5.1"
http://blog.bitflux.ch/archive/parsing_non_well_formed_xml_documents_in_
php.html

"Parsing RSS at all costs"  (some general ideas, not necessarily PHP
oriented)
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/01/22/dive-into-xml.html

Random comments at PHP Manual:
http://ar.php.net/manual/en/ref.xml.php

Random info from Zend:
http://www.zend.com/zend/art/parsing.php

"need help with Sablotron parser error"

You also might try to pre-qualify/validate the XML and if it doesn't
pass the "well-formed" test, to put it aside and notify you of a
problem.  Here's info on 'well-formedness':
http://www.developer.com/lang/print.php/784621
http://www.phpfreaks.com/xmlmanual.php

Hope this helps a little.

-TG