From: Chris Shiflett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 8:44 AM
To: Merlin; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Is Perl faster than PHP?

--- Merlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> it came to my attention that most of the high traffic portals
> are using perl in the backend. Those sites do also apear to me
> to be very fast in comparison to most php sites. Are there any
> known performance comperissons between the two available? Or can
> one say that PHP or Perl is faster about x percent in general
> compared to the other one?

PHP and Perl are both key tools used to build many of the Web's top sites
- Amazon, Yahoo, Ticketmaster, Google, etc. As a Perl developer worded it
at this past week's ApacheCon, these types of sites "receive an obscene
amount of traffic."

How these two languages perform and scale relative to one another is
entirely dependent on the design and implementation - neither is going to
consistently be better than the other, but both are very good.

You will notice that the top sites don't use Java or .NET. :-)

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/

PHP Security - O'Reilly     HTTP Developer's Handbook - Sams
Coming February 2005        http://httphandbook.org/