Hello,

On 11/18/2004 04:42 PM, Paul Danko wrote:
I am building an application that uses the mail() command. I am running
on RedHat v9 with Apache v2 and PHP v4.3.8. The problem is, when I run
the mail() function, the submitting page is very slow (1-2 seconds), I
assume because it is waiting for the message to be queued up by
SendMail. Is there a way to fire off the mail command as a thread,
similar to the way to issues a command via the command prompt followed
by & to run it as a thread.

By default, sendmail attempts to send the message immediately to the recipients SMTP server. This is good for urgent messages delivery but bad if you want for instance send a newsletter to many users. In this case you need to change the delivery mode to just queue the messages and defer delivery.

You may want to take a look at this class that comes with a sendmail delivery sub-class that lets you control the delivery mode you want depending on your mailing purposes.

If you want to send messages to many users, just call the SetBulkMail() function. Take a look for instance at the test_personalized_bulk_mail.php example to see how to do it.

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos