lol, perhaps embedded a bit too deep in my pre-amble. My question is
simply what's a good way to reference a given array entry when you don't
know where it is or how deep the array is. I can do a multi dimensional
array search and return an array of keys to locate the item, I then want
to use that array of keys to be able to reference the data to perhaps do
work on it ie:

The array is a collection of network data that can consist of address
allocation entries or other networks which can contain either more
networks or allocations. I call my search function to locate a
particular network which returns me an array of keys to locate that
entry. I then want to pass that to another function to actually work on
the data.

I have a search function:

$search_result = multi_array_search($net_array,"needle");

now search_result equals an array of keys to locate the needle, this is
variable in count.

Sometimes the array of keys is 3 entries other times 5, I want a way of
taking those entries and being able to do something like:

$net_array[multi-dimensional-key] = value;

where sometimes it might be in longhand:

$net_array["net1"]["net2"]["address1"]

or other times:

$net_array["net1"]["address1"]

but you don't know how deep you're going until the search returns you
the keys.

Hope that clears things a bit!

Kind regards

Matthew