Luc Pascal wrote:

> An large XML Downstream over asp should be saved into a xml-file. If I
> open the asp website directly (IE6.0). It shows after 15 min a big part
> of the xml-stream (like if I would open an xml-file with the browser)
> and a failure at the end. I don't know how to save it into Harddisk,
> before a failure-window popup, wich says "Not enough virtual memory,
> because stylesheet is activated". And I wouldn't know how to continue
> from the rest of the stream on. I thought there's an easy way to
> develope a documentpipe with php. Can you show me some example, how to
> get a datastreama into files?

In either ASP or PHP, you *should* be able to output:

header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");

And the browser *should* be able to download that into a file where you
choose to save it.

The error message you have provided would indicate to me that:

You are surfing to an XML file, and the browser is trying to display it.

Some kind of Style sheet is referenced before/in that XML file, and the
browser is using that Style sheet.  Or perhaps you've set up a default
Style sheet in your browser preferences???  Or, rather, your browser
implements the default settings of how to render a page with an internal
Style sheet.  At any rate, some kind of Style sheet is involved, but only
because you're trying to VIEW the file, instead of downloading it.  And,
the file being so large, you can't VIEW it in the browser, because it's
just too damn big.

Also note that there are more header()s you can send to ask the browser to
use a specific filename in the File Save As dialog.

And note that if you are just trying to download the file, and it's not
some file you are personally providing on your web-server, so you have no
control over how it gets served up, then the real problem is you don't
know how to use your browser :-)  Right-click (click-and-hold on a Mac) on
the link, and you will be given a popup menu which will include a choice
of "Save Link As..." :-)

Oh yeah. I've also had trouble when somebody sent me the URL to the
document via phone or dead-tree paper, and so there was no link to
right-click on, so...  The easiest thing to do there is to make your own
little text file with a link in it to the document, and then open that
file in your browser:
Open Notepad (or Write)
Type: <A HREF="
Paste in the URL.
Type: ">
So it should look like:
<A HREF="____URL_____">
Then "Save As..."
Be sure to choose "Any file (*.*)" FIRST
Then name it something like:  "linkfile.htm"
Then open up "linkfile.htm" (from Explorer with double-click, or using
File->Open->Browse... in your browser.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm