When I use this feature, I set a cookie to Remember Me that lasts for six months or a year. That's completely independent of any session(s). Often I'll have a 6-month session for storing shopping cart contents, and a 30-minute session for storing login status. All kinds of things going on.... :)

PS - When using a session that lasts a super long time, like 6 months, consider rolling your own session table rather than letting PHP create session text files all over your server. They can accumulate rather quickly.

Brian Dunning
http://www.briandunning.com/