Doc wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 07:51:46 -0800, Richard Lynch wrote:
>>
>> WILD GUESS ALERT!
>>
>> What you got in /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny?...
>
> nothing in there other than default install comments.
>
>> Or any kind of other anti-bad-guy technology?...
>
> nope.
>
>> Does it work if you use 127.0.0.1 for the IP/URL?
>> How about the actual IP of the machine?
>> localhost?
>
> d) none of the above :)
>
>> Just throwing out random things to try that might lead you somewhere.
>
> much appreciated. I'm willing to sacrifice young lambs at this stage.

Okay, pull out ethereal and netstat -a to see what connections are being
tried/attempted/whatever.

Maybe even tcpdump to see what is going back and forth.

If all else fails, here's a TOTAL HACK:

Write a PHP script on some other server that connects back to the first
server and opens the socket and does whatever you need it to do.

Now have your script connect to the other server and use its sockets to do
what you need.

This is clearly *NOT* a Good Idea for a long-term solution, but could get
you past this hump long enough to survive, and maybe even make you realize
just why the same-machine system doesn't work.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm