1) Does adding 'shared,' as a ./configure option mean the module is compiled
as an external, dynamically loaded module as compared to the module being
statically linked into the 'exe' file? So that adding 'shared,' means I must
add a line in the PHP ini file to load the extension (or load with a funcion
call).

2) When configuring PHP with mysql support by something like
'--with-mysql=/usr' does it automatically create a shared module? i.e do
both these following configs produce the same result '--with-mysql=/usr' and
'--with-mysql=shared,/usr'?

The reason I ask, is I see many PHP info pages that specify
'--with-mysql=[DIR]' without the 'shared,' bit, and they do specify an
external library with the [DIR] part, but in the mysql info section
'MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE' shows as 'external'. I thought 'shared,' would have to
be added to create an external dynamic loaded module?

Thanks for the help!

If I posted this in the wrong group, please excuse me.