Richard Lynch wrote:
Jason wrote:

Simple functions to check & fix if necessary invalid formating of a MAC
address... I seem to be having problems with the global variable $mac
not being returned from the fix_mac() function.  Any help is appreciated.
function fix_mac( $mac ) {
 global $mac;

It's really weird to both pass in $mac as an argument and to declare it
global...

Do one or the other, but not both.

quite.

Can't help you with the mess of Regex you've got though...

now I bet you can actually, chicken and egg: you have to have the skill to recognise the mess. ;-)

Jason - don't be dishearted:

a, regexp are/can be hard
b, anyone who is giving them a go, is probably trying hard to improve
their skills (we like that :-)) - regexps are quite a hurdle for most people.
c, we all start out writing regexps like yours (i.e. simple ones) and eventually they become more and more complex/arcane until you become Larry Wall.

---
"did someone say 'who is Larry Wall?'?, 10 lashes for that man"