On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:22:40 -0000, Ford, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
> http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm
>

> On 24 January 2005 17:04, Ben Edwards wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:38:03 -0600, Jay Blanchard
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > String to Date Function
> > > ----------------------------
> > > return date stringToDate( str Date, str Format )
> > > e.g. $todayDt = stringToDate( '01/01/2003','DD/MM/YYYY' );
> > >
> > > Date to String Function
> > > ----------------------------
> > > return str dateToString( date Date, str Format )
> > > e.g. $todayStr = dateToString ( $todayDt,'DD/MM/YYYY' );
> > >
> > > Anyone know of any functions that do this or have pointers as to
> > > how it can be done. [/snip]
> > >
> > > You've looked at http://www.php.net/date ?
> > >
> > Yes.  It douse the dateToString bit but how do I do the reverse.  I
> > can use it to convert a timestamp to a string but how do I convert a
> > string to a timestamp.
>
> Right at the top of the description of date(), the second Note reads:
>
>    Note: To generate a timestamp from a string representation of the
>    date, you may be able to use strtotime().

As I have said in a previous email to date function takes a format
string and the strtodate douse not.  Therefore the strtodate() only
works on a small subset of what date() can produce.  The format I am
interested in is DD-MM-YYYY which is the way dates are specified in
the UK, strtodate() cant handle this.  strtodate is not the reverse of
date.

Your email address seems to indicate you are in the UK - so you may of
come across the way UK dates are normaly specified;)

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Poole, UK, England
WARNING:This email contained partisan views - dont ever accuse me of