yes, i recommend reading the file into a buffer and saving out the
part you actually need.  that way the buffer can only be so big, and
you only keep what you really need...

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:27:35 +0100, Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wiberg wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I wonder if I can optimize following code (or do something better) below?
> > It works fine when about 3.000 rows exists in the textfile, but when it gets
> > to 10.000 rows then it will get a session timeout. (or internal server
> > error)
>
> I assume the func gets called for every row in the textfile.
> If you are not worried about exactly how long it takes then unset
> the timeout on the script, e.g.:
>
> set_time_limit(0);
>
> and checkout this function also:
> http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/function.ignore-user-abort.php
>

> > <?php
> >
> > function checkSaldo($url, $articleNrFieldNr, $saldoFieldNr, $separator,
> > $startLine, $prefix) {
> >
> > require ("phpfunctions/opendb.php");
>
> this require() can live outside the function, that saves 3000+ calls to it.
>

> > //Read in specified file into array
> > //
> > $fileArray = file($url);
>
> oops! I wasn't reading properly,
> obviously the function is called once and the iteration happens inside it...
>
> you grab the whole contents of the file at once - potentially storing a 10000
> item array in memory, why not check out some of the other 'file' functions
> (like fgets(), which allows you to grab 1 line at a time)
>

> > //Go through array
> > //
> > for ($i=$startLine;$i<count($fileArray);$i++) {
>
> ARGH!!! at the very least change this line to:
>
> $cFA = count($fileArray);
> for ($i=$startLine;$i<$cFA;$i++) {
>
> that will save 3000+ calls to count().
>

> >       //Get line of file (through array)
> >       //
> >       $lineRead = $fileArray[$i];
> >

> >       //Make array of all "elements" in this line
> >       //
> >       $lineArray = explode("$separator",$lineRead);
> >

> >       //Get manufacturers articlenumber
> >       //
> >       if (isset($lineArray[$articleNrFieldNr])) {
> >
> >               $articleNumberManufacturer = $lineArray[$articleNrFieldNr];
> >
> >       }
> >
> >       else {
> >
> >               $articleNumberManufacturer = 0;
> >
> >       }
> >

> >       //Get saldo for this product
> >       //
> >       if (isset($lineArray[$articleNrFieldNr])) {
> >
> >               $saldo = $lineArray[$saldoFieldNr];
> >
> >       }
> >
> >       else {
> >
> >               $saldo = 0;
> >
> >       }
> >
> >       //There is no data on this row
> >       //set saldo and articlenr to zero, so nothing happens
> >       //
> >       if (strlen($lineRead)==0) {
> >
> >               $saldo = 0;
> >               $articleNumberManufacturer = 0;
> >
> >       }
> >

> >       //echo "<br>ARTICLENR: $articleNumberManufacturer<br>";
> >       //echo "SALDO: $saldo<br>";
> >

> >       //Articlenr exists in line
> >       //
> [...]

The Disguised Jedi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PHP rocks!
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Go to school, become evil"

This message is Certified Virus Free