> > I could run a background job which periodically does the gethostbyaddr
> > on the IP's stored on disk, but that's sort of a hack, and is more
> > complicated than if I could fork.

> Sounds like passthru() might do what you want
> <http://us3.php.net/passthru>.

Actually forking to resolve ip based on a xxxxx amount of users is a very
bad idea.... you could end up with having 1000's of programs looking up an
IP address. Remember that you are spawning a "new program" not a thread.
Therefore you are looking at some serious performance and load issues as
spawning a new program is not anywhere near efficient as threading. This is
very bad idea.. Got RAM ?

To be honest the cron job to lookup IPS is a more elegant solution, and no I
wouldn't call such a thing a "hack". infact I know webtrends does that ....

Marek