am not having a lot of success with opening a socket to a secure domain (php 4.3.8 - apache - openSSL)

$fp = fsockopen($url , 443 ,$errno, $errstr, 30);

have tried the following $urls

-----------------------
$url = 'domain.net';

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

--------------------------------------
$url = 'https://domain.net';

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known

$url = 'ssl://domain.net';

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Client sent malformed Host header

$url = 'tls://domain.net';

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Client sent malformed Host header

Am I missing the obvious as I cannot thing of any other options ;-((

tia
pete