It depends on the exact situation, but a lot of times the vendors that process a fraudulent credit card purchase end up eating that loss.

I can testify to this by experience. I ate $10,000 on one run of phished transactions.

the other 1% by uncrumpling receipts out of a wastebasket. There's no longer any reason to go to the trouble of trying to crack encryption. Remember the knight who went into battle wearing armor only on his legs?

I suppose that if you want to disregard the risk as minimal,

Did I say that, or are you being argumentative? Let's keep the thread useful to the original poster.