At 11:07 AM 2/25/2005, you wrote:

Steve Buehler wrote:
> I have to write a little program that pulls information from a database,
> formats it into csv format for importing into excel and ftps it to another
> server. I have everything worked out except for the ftping. I have read
> through http://us4.php.net/manual/en/ref.ftp.php and I know I can get the
> data from the database, save it to a file and ftp it. Does anybody know
> if
> I can skip the step of saving it to a file and ftp/stream it directly to a
> filename on another server?

What you just described is pretty much the entire PURPOSE of
http://php.net/manual/en/ref.ftp.php

Now that you know that, re-read that, and you'll realize just how easy
this is gonna be. :-)

PS You may find it easier to go ahead and use a local temporary file, just
to use fputcsv() instead of rolling your own.  Or not, as rolling your own
CSV writer isn't exactly rocket science.

Maybe I missed it the second time through, but I still can't find anything that makes that the "entire PURPOSE" of what you referred too. Like I said, I might have missed it though, that one is for ftping a file. What I was hoping for is to NOT have to create the file locally first before uploading it. Right after sending this email, I was looking for something else and found out that "fopen" is what I was looking for. I still have to use the ref.ftp.php ftp functions to delete the file on the remote server first though because fopen can not open an existing file on a remote server, zero it out and then write to it and it can't just "delete" a remote file.....that I know of. So I have to delete it first with the ftp functions, then ftp it over from the variable into a remote file. At least I don't have to create a temporary file on the local server first. That is what I was really trying to avoid.

Thanks
Steve