Thanks guys, that clears up a lot! Cheers, actually I have to say goodbye to broadband for a while so I hope that I can make it on my own! That's why I have been asking all these obvious little questions! Cheers,
Rory.

Jochem Maas wrote:
rory walsh wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between double quotes and single quotes? Cheers,
Rory.

apart from the visual difference :-)... yes.

with double quotes string interpolation is done. whats that?
run this code to see the difference:

<?php

$varA = 123;

echo ' this is $varA';
echo " this is $varA";

?>

basically use double quotes only when you need it... needing it includes times
when using double quotes saves you having to escape _lots_ of single quotes,
i.e. when it makes code easier to read (JMHO) e.g.:

$str = '\'this\' \'is\' a \'stupidly\' \'quoted\' string';
$str = "'this' 'is' a 'stupidly' 'quoted' string";

---

so now you have at least 2 things to google:

1. string interpolation (+ PHP)
2. string/char escaping (+ PHP)

have fun :-)