It doesn't tell you if a variable is actually null, but unless you
specifically need to know if it is actually "NULL", just testing for truth
is usually enough.

For most uses it works fine, but if you really need to know wether or not
it's null, take one of the other suggestions.

For instance, if you need to see if someone submitted something to the
$username variable, use:

if ($username)
{
// stuff