At 03:56 AM 4/13/2001, Peter Harkins wrote:
>         This generates a parse error:
>                 mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "rootpw") or
> return("bar");
>
>         But all the following work fine:
>                 mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "rootpw") or die("bar");
>
>                 mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "rootpw") or
> print("bar");
>
>                 if (!mysql_connect("localhost", "root", "rootpw")) {
>                         return("bar");
>                 }
>
>         Why? mysql_connect returns false on failure either way... I
> notice die

return isn't a function but a language construct.   This is why the third
working line with the curlybraces works, and without them it doesn't.

include() is a language construct too.  the particulars of using language
constructs (like return() and include()) with control structure syntax are
explained on the page for include().

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.include.php

-j (aka sneak)