[EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Christensen) wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle a SELECT from multiple
> tables where a single ID in tableA relates to multiple ID's in tableB:
>
> "SELECT tableA.ID, tableB.data FROM tableA, tableB WHERE tableA.ID=3
> AND tableA.ID=tableB.tableAID"
>
> What I'm trying to product is an array output similar to:
>
>| ID | data |
>| 3  | data1, data2, data3 |
>
> if the table data is represented by this:
>
> tableA
>| ID | something  |
>| 1  | something1 |
>| 2  | something2 |
>| 3  | something3 |
>
> tableB
>| ID | tableAID | data  |
>| 1  | 3        | data1 |
>| 2  | 3        | data2 |
>| 3  | 3        | data2 |

Suggestion 1 and 2 may depend of which database you use.
Suggestion 3 have been touched in other answers.

Suggestion 1:
Create a custom function which takes the tableA.ID as parameter and run
a query on tableB and creates an string as answer. I do this in an
application i use PostgreSQL.

Suggestion 2:
Create an aggregate. I havent yet tried this in PostgreSQL.

Suggestion 3:
Order your sql result and loop over the data.

--
Rolf Østvik