you'd be better off with something like
if(preg_match('#^[a-z0-9]+$#i', $GP['sifre'])) {
        echo 'contains only alphanumeric chars';
} else {
        echo 'contains characters which are not alphanumeric';
}

- tul

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I really dont know :)

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I m trying to check $GP[sifre] variable, $GP[sifre] must consist of alpha
numeric chars only. here, how I check the variable:

if((eregi("[^a-zA-Z0-9]",$GP[sifre])
  echo 'true';
else
  echo 'false';

It works if variable starts with alphabetic chars only.
for example this returns 'ok'
  $GP[sifre]='blabla234243';
but this does not work: (if variable starts with numeric chars)
  $GP[sifre]='3243242blabla';

second one returns false, couldnt figure out the problem here. any help ?