Hi Rene,

I am becoming a little bit concerned about some of the
advice you have been getting about setting a rate for
your work.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong
with charging by the hour, but a lot of times one of
two things happen, either you begin to resent your
customer or they begin to resent you.
I have another method for you to consider about
pricing/costing your work.  Try basing your fee on
value. If someone wants a one page site then you look
at how long it will take and ask them a few questions
about what they want to get out the page.  If the
client believes that the single page would be the most
inportant part of their interaction with their
audience (I'm being intentionally extreme here) then
would you feel right about only charging 50$ for it?
Personally I would be looking at charging 500$ or even
more.

Another thing to think about where figuring out your
rate is what your time is actually worth. A trimmined
down version of how I have determined my rate in the
past is as follows:

My desired salary: 60,000$

Hours to work per year: 2000h

Now start subtrating from hours to determine billable
hours.

Minus:
Vacation time(3 weeks @ 40h/week): 120h
Overhead time(accounting and such 4h/month): 48h
Networking/Marketing time (figure about 1/3 of your
time): 600h
Sick Days(everyone gets sick eventually): 40h

You also have expenses:
Overhead (space to rent, cd or dvds, computers,
hosting, etc): 20,000$
Advertising(brochures, cards, etc): 3000$

Determine sales needed for the year:
Salary + expenses: 83,000$/year

Determine billable hours
(Total hours - Vac time, sick time, etc):
2000h - 120-48-600-40 = 1192h (actual time you can
spend doing what you do)

Rate to charge:
Needed sales/billable hours
83,000$/1192h = 70$/h

Use that number as a base, initially add 20% more time
 to your time estimates and find out what the client
is willing to pay and charge them that or a little
more, they will pay you more.

HTH,
David
--- -{ Rene Brehmer }- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>