On 5/7/05, M. Sokolewicz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rory Browne wrote:
>
> > First of all as Rasmus said, this 'compression' is barely(if at all)
> > going to make a difference, after your pages have been compressed wth
> > gzip,
> >
> > There are two reasons for this:
> >  1 compression techniques detect repeated strings(such as spaces or
> > newlines), and replaces them with one instance of that string, and a
> > record of how many times it appears.
> >  2 Because Rasmus said so, and considering his long-time involvement
> > with the php project(as founder), he probably knows what he'e talking
> > about.
> >
> > What might be more useful is stripping out comments, If you don't use
> > javascript it is simply a case of replacing all <!-- anything --> with
> > a blank space. If you do though it's more complicated since it is
> > considered good practice to place js inside <!-- .. //--> blocks,
>
> excuse me? since when is this considered /good/ practice???
> It's one of those things that are concidered /bad/ practice according to
>   w3...

Stripping out the comments from the source (file.php) is bad. But I
see no reason why not to strip them out from the output to the user.
Most users would never see them. And those that would- are probably
trying to reverse-engineer your site anyway.

For debugging, you could simply comment out the comment-parser.

Dotan Cohen
http://LyricsList.com/
http://Music-Liriks.com/