Sounds like it might be a browser behavior issue. I've seen some really weird behavior in browsers when a DOCTYPE is not declared at the start of the web page. The doctype declaration and the version declared in it are actually very important to the rendering and behavior of a web page. Over the years, browser behavior has changed and will render code and perform actions differently. The doctype declaration allows specify which version behavior you are targeting.

So, is the first line of your web page something like:
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd";>