Can someone help me with an elementary cookie problem?

I want to capture a variable, write to a cookie, and be able to access it
from other pages.

I've done that, and it works well....

BUT, if I capture the same variable a second time (with a different value),
it still remembers the first value, not the second.  The only way I can get
it to understand the second value is to exit my browser and start over.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

KennM