Jim & Sara Feldman wrote:
Hi:

I have recently upgraded from a Mac G4 running OS 10.3.9 to a G5 running OS 10.4. I ported a working PHP app and upgraded from PHP 4.3.4 to 4.3.10 and MySQL 4.0.17 to 4.1.11. I am having a problem connecting to MySQL from PHP.

I can connect to the database using either phpMyADMIN or directly from terminal mode using MySQL commands. However, when I try to enter the database from php, using

    $result = mysql_pconnect("localhost", "api_user", "97533");

I get $result = FALSE. This command works on the old system as does the MySQL command:

Jim :

The problem here is that with MySQL 4.1.xx -- MySQL changed the way that passwords should be connect by clients to the server. PHP 4.3.10 is still using the old client libraries of MySQL, which do not understand the new password schemes.

The command line client (mysql) works because its using the new libraries that came with MySQL 4.1.11.

You have two options. You can either upgrade to PHP5 and use the mysqli_* functions -- or you can restart MySQL with the --old-passwords switch which will allow it to accept connections from older clients.

See http://php.net/mysqli and http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/old-client.html for more information.

Warmly,
Burhan