Greg, thank you for all this... See below

Greg Donald wrote:
On 6/2/05, Jack Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Greg,

I see how that is useful. I am confused as to how I would implement it
here. Please bear with me as I am a newbie and am now perhaps more
confused than ever!:

Bummer, sorry.
Twasn't you; were me.

I'm trying to use the number given in the $_GET URL to build one piece
of the sql:

If there is anything set in the $_GET field other than ?c=[valid int] or
?p=[valid int] or ?s=[valid int] then I want to bounce to a plain index.

if( !(  isset( $_GET[ 'c' ] ) && is_int( $_GET[ 'c' ] )
        || isset( $_GET[ 'p' ] ) && is_int( $_GET[ 'p' ] )
        || isset( $_GET[ 's' ] ) && is_int( $_GET[ 's' ] ) ) )
{
    header( 'Location: index.php' );
    exit;
}

Of course, that almost did it. But I wanted to do it it *weren't* an int. I put a ! in front and that works like a charm!

If it's a valid int (a positive int which corresponds to a valid row)
then I want to set its value to the appropriate variable: either $c, $p
or $s,

If it's in the URL it's already set as $_GET[ 'c' ], $_GET[ 'p' ], or
$_GET[ 's' ].

I get it. Thanks for that. Including it in the sql didn't work as you suggested:

<?php      //IF there is a valid query by cartoon, use $c to build the SQL
    $fields = 'SELECT art.*,publisher.*,subject.*';
    $from = 'FROM art,subject
        LEFT JOIN publisher
         ON publisher.publisher_id=art.publisher_id';
    $sort = "ORDER BY art.art_pub_date";
    $where = "WHERE art.art_id = '$c' AND

WHERE art.art_id = '$_GET[c]'

I guess it was missing a print command or something. I did this up top though:

$c = intval($_GET['c']);
$p = intval($_GET['p']);
$s = intval($_GET['s']);

and then did it as I had it in the sample above and it worked like a charm, too.

         subject.subject_id=art.subject_id";
?>

If that were instead a $p then I would do:

<?php   //IF there is a valid query by publisher, use $p to build the SQL
        $fields = "SELECT art.*,publisher.*,subject.*";
        $from = "FROM art,subject
        LEFT JOIN publisher
         ON publisher.publisher_id=art.publisher_id";
       $where = "WHERE publisher.publisher_id=art.publisher_id AND
         art.publisher_id = '$p' AND

art.publisher_id = '$_GET[p]' AND

         subject.subject_id=art.subject_id";

?>
If that were instead an $s then I would do:

<?php      //IF there is a valid query by subject, use $s to build the SQL
    $fields = "SELECT art.*,publisher.*,subject.*";
    $from = "FROM art,subject
        LEFT JOIN publisher
         ON publisher.publisher_id=art.publisher_id";
       $where = "WHERE publisher.publisher_id=art.publisher_id AND
         art.subject_id = '1' AND
         art.subject_id=subject.subject_id";
?>

I'm sure your method works ( ;) ). If I understand it, as my friend
Darrell said about your suggestion:

'...We iterate through the array seeing if there's a submitted HTML form
field name that matches the current database column name. If so, we add
the column name and the value submitted in the form to a string that is
being built into a database query.'

It's just a matter of checking for variables in the $_GET array and
doing what you need to do if they exist and are valid or not.  Do you
know about print_r() yet?

echo '<pre>';
print_r( $_GET );
echo '</pre>';

I did and thank you. This is close to working, though I still have to deal with what happens once I run those queries. But thanks for sorting out that mess for me,. I really appreciate it.