<snip>
I want to hide the HTML from the browser.  If someone adds some
malicious
code, or even <u></u> I don't want it to underline.

Could you rephrase this? You want to "hide" the HTML from the browser?
If the browser doesn't see any HTML, good luck getting a web page.
If you're trying to hide the HTML from the user, you're in for some
fun...you can do things like disable right clicking, but then they can
You can make the page contain frames and then they'd see the frameset,
and wouldn't be able to click into the source...but then they could
check the page referenced in the url attribute of your
frameset...basically, as said before, you can't completely cut the end
user off from the HTML output...what are you worried about anyway, with
the <u></u> example?

As far as the name\'s problem, check php.net for info about magic
quotes...you probably have them on...if they are on, PHP will
"magically" put a \ in front of ' or " so you don't have to worry about
that when you enter your data into wherever...you can disable it in your
php.ini, or at runtime...

-jack