I have a site that has this problem every once in a while, and seemingly
randomly.  It is a database driven site, as indicated by the error.  This
same page when loaded numerous times will sometimes work just fine, and then
sometimes it will give an error message like this:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Unknown MySQL Server Host
'hostn[]me.domain.com' (1) in
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/filename.php on line 8
Unknown MySQL Server Host 'hostn[]me.domain.com' (1)

Notice that in the word "hostname" the 'a' is not an 'a'.  It is one of the
empty boxes that usually indicates an unknown character.  Here I represent
it with square brackets for visual effect.

When the source is check, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the
hostname in the mysql_connect function.  As I mentioned, if this page is
reloaded it may be fine.  After a while it may not have anymore problems for
weeks.  Or it may come back the next day.  When It is happening I do not
notice any major server process usage.

The mis-interpreted character problem sometimes truncates a word, or just
messes up a cerain random characters.

I have had this happen on more than one site on more than one server.

Does anyone have any idea what this may be?  I am even accepting wild
guesses at this point.

Thanks,
Jonathan