Matt Darby wrote:

Using this at the top of your script will allow PHP and MySQL to interact. $_POST['dbconn']=mysql_select_db("database_name", mysql_connect("server_name","user_name","password"));

It does sound like you have notices and warnings turned off in php.ini:
Find php.ini (not sure where it installs to in Windows version), and set error_reporting = E_ALL. This will show all notices and warnings generated by your PHP code; extremely usefull in debugging.

Matt Darby

Linda H wrote:

Hi,

I'm running MySQL 4.0.21, Apache 2.0.52 and PHP 5.0.2 on a Windows XP system. I can run scripts with PHP and HTML statements and see correct output in my browser. But when I try to connect to MySQL I get nothing, including no error messages.

One book I have says to run the following scrip to test the connection. It should print either the Resource name or an error message:

<?php
echo mysql_connect ('localhost','calendar','pass1234'); # host, user, password
?>

I get no output at all, and if the statement is placed in a larger script, above html/PHP output, it suppresses that as well.

Using the mysql monitor from the DOS command prompt, I can connect as user 'calendar' with password 'pass1234', select a database and execute SQL statements successfully.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't seem to connect, please?

Linda

From the manual:

   Return Values

Returns a MySQL link identifier on success, or *FALSE* on failure.

So if your connection is failing then it will not print anything to screen, try:

echo (mysql_connect ('localhost','calendar','pass1234')) ? "connected" : mysql_error();

HTH,

Mikey