But WHY WHY WHY would one want to treat a string as a stream, when PHP has such good string handling functions?

THATS not been explained.

(Unless, knowing C and its limited string handling capabilities, one is looking for a familiar hammer.)

It's Friday - time to go socialize - Miles

PS How do you like Canada's new Governor General? Sharper looking than the average, middle-aged-to-ancient white male politico, which is what we have historically been saddled with. /mt