* Jochem Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > * Bruce Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> :
> > >
> > > I am getting this on the following code, and I am not sure what is
> > > causing the error and need some pros to take a look at it for me.
> > >
> > > the error is:
> > >
> > > Parse error: parse error, unexpected '{' in
> > > /hsphere/local/home/bruceg/inspired-evolution.com/Contact_Form2.php on
> > > line 161
>
> the error is correct. (that sounds funny)
>
> find the line containing:
>
> if (isset($err_msg) || isset($email_err) { echo
>
> and look _very_ _very_ carefully at it. look again.
> see it now?
>
> I don't know if my mail client made a mess of your code layout
> or if it was just a mess - if it was a mess to begin with then
> I would recommend you try and be more consistent in the way you
> present your code - it makes it easier to maintain and debug - granted
> php doesn't care about the layout - you can write everything on a single line
> if you really want. google on Coding Standards - pick a style your eyes like
> and try to stick with it - you wont regret it.

+1

I personally use PEAR's CS, and made that decision a little over a year
ago. I've never looked back, and code I've had to maintain that predates
that decision gets updated -- simply because it makes maintenance and
debugging a thousandfold easier.

> > <snip>
> >
> > > if ($_POST['op']!='ds') {
> > >    // they need to see the form
> > >    echo "$form_block";
> > >    } else if ($_POST["op"]  == "ds")  {
> >

> > Where's the end to this elseif? You follow it immediately with the
> > following lines, which simply won't work (can't define functions inside
> > if() blocks).
>
> Matthew but it's perfectly valid to define a function inside an if()
> block... It generally gets doen in apps where they have to support older
> versions
> of php and conditionally define functions if they don't exist e.g.
>
> if (!defined("array_push")) {
>       function array_push($arr, $val)  { /*stuff*/ }
> }

D'oh! I was thinking this was an anonymous function (ala perl), and of
course it's not. Good catch, Jochem.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Zend Certified Engineer