I use a special function just for reforming input, but they use the
following bits with PCRE:

 $replace_wordwhite = '/[^\w\s]/';
 $replace_word = '/\W/';
 $replace_num = '/\D/';
 $replace_email = '/[^\w\-\.@]/';

Works pretty well and it's quite useful for killing useless input without
returning errors, so the username (for instance) "B{o}b" it made into "Bob".
That way it's more or less forgiving of morons and malicious users alike :)

--
Plutarck
Should be working on something...