To continue a tangent... I don't like the idea of having the PEAR
fetching/installation mechanism written in PHP (already some base code in
PEAR to do this).  It seems to me that it forces the user to download/build
PHP and then download and rebuild PHP with any extensions that don't come in
the base distribution.  Instead it should be a binary that can be compiled
before PHP is built, can download and configure any extensions requested and
then build the resulting PHP binary.  We can also build in a dependency
mechanism where for example, someone chooses to install a PEAR module (be it
PHP or C) and the required extensions would be downloaded as well.

Just my $0.02